Thursday, October 20, 2011

book report [a homemade life]


A BFF lent this book to me ages ago (you'll get it back soon, I swear...like next week).  Lucky me! She thought I'd like it...and I did. I put it to the side for far too long and sort of forgot about it until same BFF was visiting and asked if I'd read it.  I wanted to read this book when it first came out and a lot of bloggers where raving about it..but I didn't realize the one my friend sent was the same book until I finally cracked it open. A Homemade Life is something of a memoir entwined with food.  The author Molly Wizenberg has a blog called Orangette (yes, she's one of those magical people who, deservedly, got a book deal via blogging. She also got a husband). The posts on Orangette are lovely and clearly from the heart...just like the book. Molly has a great way of wrapping stories from her life around stories of food.  Her stories of food, family, travel, and decisions are cute and sad and wonderful...all well told, and the food sounds delicious. Have you read it?

I'm flipping through the book again now, looking for recipes to write down before I return it to its rightful owner...remembering the wedding in Bellingham, the monster macaroon birthday cake, the so-very-French boyfriend in Paris...seriously, you should read this book. 

[FYI, I link to Green Apple Books in San Francisco and/or Powell's in Portland because they are my favorite bookstores...local, independent, and awesome.  They have no idea who I am, nor do they give me anything for linking to them. Where you buy your books is your business.  I also advocate the public library [and the library didn't waive any fines or give me anything to say that]

1 comment:

Sam said...

It's now on my library hold list. Thanks for sharing! And I gotta say the author and you could be sisters - you look very similar.