Tuesday, November 6, 2012

stock options

 

I'm making chicken stock today. Do I know what I'm doing? No, but it makes the home smell cozy and it will be good enough to make rice with at least. And it's a good experiment. We ate a store bought roasted chicken the other day so I threw the remains in a pot with water, salt, a few carrots, half an onion, a couple of bay leaves, some pepper, some sage, and some marjoram (what do people normally use marjoram for?). I know I could have researched in cookbooks and online, but I kind of just wanted to go for it. Wish me luck!

 

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I've started making homemade broth lately too after reading how good it is for you! Highly absorbable calcium, magnesium...I make soups and stews with it or drink a cup plain! I do mine in a crockpot, so easy! Add in a splash or two of apple cider vinegar which helps to break down the bones even more and release more nutrients into the broth! Read more here: http://nourishedkitchen.com/roast-chicken-stock/

and here: http://nourishedkitchen.com/bone-broths-adrenals-bones-teeth/

:)

Unknown said...

Thx Debbie! I'll try the vinegar next time. Was also relieved that the gelling was normal :)