Sunday, April 8, 2012

book report [february+march]

Here's a quick roundup & review of the last few books I've read...


The last book in this nautical series...there are 3 chapters of an unfinished twenty-first book, but this ended nicely enough, so I'm going to leave it at that.  I can't believe I read all of them!


Woah.  A story about a horrific situation (woman+child held hostage) that draws you in and even makes you smile sometimes.  It's actually a fascinating adventure tale...both heartbreaking and amazing.


Everything in the universe is made up from a 100 or so elements...this book is full of stories about how interesting those elements can be, how scientists figured out what and where they all are.  If it's been awhile since you've taken basic chemistry, you might need a quick brush-up on electron shells and chemical bonds to follow the science. 


I really enjoyed this slightly creepy, creative, quick page-turner...has anyone else read this? How is the movie version?


A journalist embeds herself in 7 different situations in the "art world" (an auction, an art school critique, a dealer/collector fair, a magazine, an artist's studio, a prize, and an expo). In these particular situations it's all about who's-who, who has money, and people acting according to a contrived "art world" etiquette/stereotype.  Bleh.  I know it's not all that way, thank goodness. Weird what media and money do, isn't it? 

Anyone have any good book recommendations? As you've seen, I'll read almost anything...

[FYI, I link to Green Apple Books in San Francisco and/or Powell's in Portland because they are my favorite bookstores...local, independent, and awesome.  They have no idea who I am, nor do they give me anything for linking to them. Where you buy your books is your business.  I also advocate the public library [and the library didn't waive any fines or give me anything to say that]

2 comments:

Natasha Bee said...

Ooh I read Room recently also, very interesting point of view. Book recommendations...hmm...Life of Pi by Yann Martel, Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides, Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua, The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, The Host by Stephanie Meyer...k, done for now.

Unknown said...

Thx Tash...I read 3/5 of those and loved them...
Hope all is cool in the East Bay