Saturday, August 6, 2011

book report [the weed that strings the hangman's bag]


This book is the second installment of the Flavia de Luce mysteries...Flavia is a precocious 11 year old girl living in 1950's England.  She loves chemistry and poking her nose into strange goings on in her village. Her dad and her sisters sometimes get in the way...but she still manages to get in the way and figure out the mystery.  This mystery involves the death of a famous tv puppeteer who is traveling the countryside. At first the crime seems random, but as clues unfold it seems the puppeteer may have old ties to the neighborhood. The suspects? The vicar, his wife, the puppeteers assistant, a german WWII prisoner of war and others all must be investigated all while avoiding older sisters and dreaded Aunt Felicity. These mysteries are fun reads...I definitely recommend them, and I think you could get away with not reading the first book (although I think it was slightly better than this one).  The third is out in hardback now..I'm sure I'll read it in a few months!

[FYI, I link to Green Apple Books in San Francisco and/or Powell's in Portland because they are my favorite bookstores...local, independent, and awesome.  They have no idea who I am, nor do they give me anything for linking to them. Where you buy your books is your business.  I also advocate the public library [and the library didn't waive any fines or give me anything to say that]

No comments: