Wednesday, August 10, 2011

book report [the commodore]


Book 17 in the series.  This was a good one.  You'll have to take my word. I won't give you a synopsis because, let's face it, you probably won't read this.  I'm a weirdo. The Aubrey-Maturin series (you probably know the movie Master & Commander, based on this book series) is a true series where you would be a bit lost if you didn't start from the beginning...and a lot of people don't make it past the first book because it's full of naval mumbo-jumbo.  But you don't really need to know which sheet is the mizzen topgallant staysail to enjoy the stories (but there is a diagram in the front of each book, ha ha). I only have 4 books left...I'm excited and sad at the same time. I have gotten to know the characters over the last five years (read Book #1 in May 2006...thanks reading journal!) and the quality has stayed true thru the entire series...I just want to keep reading! But...I pace myself, because there are a lot of other books out there...Number 18 is in hand and will probably be read next month.

[FYI, I link to Green Apple Books in San Francisco and/or Powell's in Portland because they are my favorite bookstores...local, independent, and awesome.  They have no idea who I am, nor do they give me anything for linking to them. Where you buy your books is your business.  I also advocate the public library [and the library didn't waive any fines or give me anything to say that]

No comments: