Wednesday, February 23, 2011

where wednesday [the dew drop inn]

[For Where Wednesday this week I bring you Diane from the dew drop inn. Diane shares such interesting and thoughtful ideas and projects on her blog (remember her word project?), do pay it a visit. I met Diane online through Indie Biz 2.0 and immediately connected over books, art, and life...the expression 'fast friends' comes to mind. Just a few days ago I finally had the pleasure of spending a splendid afternoon with this lovely lady, in person, in her little corner of the world...can't wait to do it again! Without further ado, welcome to the dew drop inn on the sagebrush coast...]

the space i am sharing with you today is my beloved sky chair...


it is my space for relaxing...


meditating...


reading...


hanging out with my pup...


and gazing out at the beautiful trees and hills of sonoma county...



i first sat in a sky chair at a renaissance fair over a decade ago.  i fell instantly in love with the feeling of being in an upright hammock.  it completely relaxed me and brought me such simple joy.  i made a wish then and there that i would someday own one.

in order to have a sky chair, one must have a tree, a strong ceiling beam, or a frame on which to hang it.  because my gypsy lifestyle and various domiciles did not provide any of those things for many years, it took over a decade for my wish to come true.

when my husband and i moved into our current home, we finally had a space where a sky chair could live.  i was surprised and deeply grateful when he gave me the sky chair as a gift.  his thoughtful offering has now become an amazing part of my everyday life.

although there are plenty of trees on the hill where i could have placed the sky chair, my wonderful friend miles built me a frame so that the chair could live on our deck and be used more easily every day.

in my chair, i love to:

* feel calm and at rest.
* meditate...sitting and swinging keeps me awake, alert, and relaxed.
* read while gently swaying in the breeze.
* take spontaneous naps.
* wrap myself in a warm blanket on a foggy morning with a cup of hot coffee.
* drape tapestries overhead in the summer to make shade, read, and sip iced tea.
* cuddle with my best friend's twin babies.
* gaze at my garden and at twinkly star-filled skies.
* engage in deep heartfelt conversations with my sweet love while my pup snoozes next to me.

the sky chair is my place of peace and one of my favorite spaces on earth.

xo

Where Wednesdays are a regular feature where I and a series of guest bloggers talk about places that are important to us, be they work spaces, outdoor spaces, sleeping spaces, places we visit, places we live, places we drink coffee, etc. etc. [do you want to talk about a place or space that's important to you? let me know and I'll set you up with a Wednesday!]

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

The Sky Chair is heavenly! Thanks for encouraging the love of small places close to our hearts!

Anonymous said...

great post, and a great new blog to read :)

Some Korean Website Highjacker said...

oh diane just rocks my socks! wonderful and relaxingly, contemplative post. love all the post-it place holders in your book lades!!!

i now want a sky chair too, but 1st need to acquire a deck to put it on unfortch.

sara, this is a terrific feature you do. happy to discover your space. ♥

diane said...

sara...thank you for inviting me to participate in "where wednesday!"

becca + petra...it's lovely to see you here.

lynn...i geek out on all things post-it! :D

Unknown said...

diane, thank YOU for the post...

becca, petra, and lynn thanks for visiting! where wednesday is turning into a great collection of stories :)